Historical Costs of Equipment and Vehicles
What have we paid for a basic fire truck?
- 1984 - $118,000
- 2005 - $268,000
- Today, the truck would cost an estimated $375,000.
What about the air-packs our fire fighters wear?
- 1991 - $60,000
- 2003 - $96,000
- Today, it would cost an estimated $167,000 to replace all of our air-packs.
- Federal regulations place a 15 year life-span on the air bottles that are part of the overall air pack.
- Our current air bottles will have to be replaced by 2018 at an estimated cost of $60,000.
- To replace a single face piece today would cost $1,000. Each fire fighter is required to have his/her own mask. 100 percent of our masks are 10 years old.
Turn-out, or Bunker Gear is the protective pants and coats fire fighters wear. The cost of this protective equipment has increased steadily over the years.
- 2003 - $1,200
- 2008 - $1,400
- 2014 - $1,800
There are many other items that at some point will need to be replaced. This list is not all inclusive:
- Jaws of Life equipment
- Fire Hose
- Thermal imaging camera
- Gas detectors